Tuesday, February 23, 2010

To Quote

"In my time I have practiced several other styles of martial arts. I have studied them, borrowed what I needed, and synthesized them into my own techniques, thus further refining the arts I humbly received, into a kata system I called "sayaw-an." The addition of applications to the original art by each succeeding master, so that the art can evolve, has become a tradition Kuntaw is the style or form of fighting which uses the natural weapons of the body from striking, kicking, throwing, and joint reversals. The hands are used for balancing, parrying, and grappling techniques as well as throwing the competitor when the opportunity presents itself. The legs are employed for a myriad of powerful kicking techniques from a number of different angles and include jumping kicks as well as takedown and sweeping maneuvers.

The art originally consisted of only soft, open hand techniques with emphasis on holding and locking while striking with either hand or feet. After World War II, the Japanese, Okinawan, and Korean arts came to the Philippines and gave me a look at hard styles. I chose to expand and modernize the art and added hard techniques to the style. This made kuntaw into a hard/soft style with avenues of response to any kind of attack. I ultimately systemized the art and added new forms for the lower grades to study, with the ultimate goal of developing a well-rounded fighter or practitioner."

GGM Lanada

Be careful what you say( it may come back to bite you on your butt), be careful who you give rank too( they just may grow out of your garden and hold you to your words), and remember you are the one who started this..........

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi everybody! I do not know where to start but hope this site will be useful for me.
Hope to receive any assistance from you if I will have any quesitons.
Thanks and good luck everyone! ;)

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home