Sunday, February 21, 2010

OK OK, enough already

I keep getting flack from the Lanada Camp via anonymous posts and emails. To answer your constant comments that I was black balled and should stop using the Kuntaw name.

Yes, I was black balled. Why? For what reason? Ask the upper ranks of Kuntaw why they chose to let me go. I have no idea other than petty jealousies by a certain San Diego person.

Guro Marc- you were not the first person to be the Canadian Director


Soon after being nominated to the Black Belt Hall of Fame by GM Lanada and being given 5th degree rank I recieved this letter





It states-
1." What you are doing things that is foolish/or laughable"
2. You are riding on the IKF
3. You were never given true rank in Kuntaw
4. What right do you have to claim you are founder of AMKA?

To answer number 1

I have been recognized by my peers as being a teachers teacher
I was top ranked competitor in the Michigan and Can Am Karate circuits for 5 years straight.
I am in demand for seminars and respected by some of the highest ranked persons in their arts.

Master Ivan Bergeron wrote:

”Hi Buzz,,

Everyone is happy to see that you are coming up for another seminar,
those who have experienced your teaching concepts before have all signed up,
and convinced the other students that this is the only seminar where you are
taught well, and you feel that you have accomplished, a true Martial Arts
experience by a great Martial Arts instructor. Over the years (40) I've
attended many seminars in Canada, the U.S.A. and Korea, taught by high
ranking Masters of many styles and most are either money oriented or
politically motivated. I've left very disappointed and not very impressed
with most of them. I do believe students should have as much exposure to
other styles and concepts as they can, this will help develop them into much
better Martial Artists and in some instances pursue a new style, which
better suits their training goals, and this is good, at least he will stay
and make a life time committment with what he enjoys and eventually help
others.
It would be enjoyable to see you back in the tournament circuit, your
domination of these tournaments was always exciting to see. Your
showmanship and demonstrations were a strong interest factor for the
tournaments. All students from the KOREAN MARTIAL ARTS CENTER have much
respect for you and the way you conduct and represent your chosen art.
There are very few Black Belts, who I truly believe have the integrity and
principles to be a Black Belt, I am glad that you are one of them.
Looking forward to the upcoming seminar.

IVAN BERGERON
8th Degree Black Belt
KOREAN MARTIAL ART CENTER
"WORLD DAHN MOO DO ASSOCIATION"
126- B ONTARIO AVE. ELLIOT LAKE ON.
P5A-1Y2
ibergeron@onlink.net
This comes from an 8th degree Black Belt who has 40 years of training/ teaching under his belt-
He was one of the first to introduce Hapkido to Northern Ontario Canada. I don't think he thinks I am laughable

Number 2---Next you say I am riding on the reputation of the IKF- If you do a google search and look up Maharlika Kuntaw you will find over 200 references. 99% of those are mine - not the IKF. If you go to the forums and check on Carlito Lanada , you will find that 90 % of the posts with his name are mine giving you credit for the art of Kuntaw. So, no, I am not riding on your reputation I WAS spreading it. I even tried to get your IKF website up and running when your old webpage fell apart. I was authorized to do this by your daughter Alice


Number 3 next you say that I was not given true rank in Kuntaw. The very next line it says you gave me a 5th degree Black Belt in recognition of what I had done in the martial arts . Now correct me if I am wrong, would you just give someone rank in your system without the ability to back it up? Would you put someone in a directorship position who you didn't feel capable of promoting your art as you would want it? Would you recommend that person (with no rank)to the World Black Belt Hall of Fame?I think not.


I have certificates signed by GM Lanada for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th degree Black Belt- were those certificates also for recognition of martial arts actions?

Number 4--"How can you prove that you're the founder of Maharlika" I never claimed to have founded Maharlika or Kuntaw or originated those terms, I do claim to have founded the AMKA which has been on the books since 1974 supporting Big Brothers and Sisters Organization here in Michigan. Next, I am claiming to be the founder of the American Maharlika Kuntaw Association- "I AM". I formed this organization to help promote Kuntaw back in the 70's after not getting ANY reply from the many letters I sent to Olongapo to you ( I even enclosed money for return postage yet you did not reply) and to the PKA.



Then, I am not authorized to promote Kuntaw. Well, the last words out of GM Lanada's mouth when I left the Philippines in 1973 was to promote and propagate this art to the US. When I was appointed US Director of the IKF, Midwest Director, and Canadian Director of the IKF right on the certificates it says "Promote and propagate this art" I was authorized as an agent for 25 years!!!



Now let's address the term Kyud, I have asked many Filipinos what kyud actually means- they all looked at me like I was nuts. There is no reference to kyud in the Tagalog dictionary as being brother or Kyudai as sister- From what I have been able to ascertain- Kyu is the belt classification of Japanese Martial arts and Kyud is a bastardization of that word so- I don't recognize it, the same with Kimono. How can you use Japanese terms in a "truely Filipino Art" as you say.

When attacked I will defend myself to the wall. And I have been attacked.
I have been teaching an art that has elements of many Filipino arts in it. It is my art, the art that you planted the seed of and let me grow unattended. So, if I have grown out of your garden and no longer have a place because my color, texture, size , or or simply that I don't fit with what you have in mind for your organization- I will go away. I will still give you credit for my ability, and the desire you kindled in me. But, I will not give up the name of Kuntaw- you cannot lay claim to an art that has 30 different subdivisions in the US already. You cannot put out the fire that has been started. You are the figure head, you are my Grand Master- but the art that you want me to embrace is not the Kuntaw that I have grown to respect and admire for it’s ancient Filipino ability not it’s Okinawan inbreeding. Sorry- that’s life. It is not Kuntaw of The Philippines- It’s Kuntaw of Philkinawa. I don’t think you do the Philippine people justice by watering down what was once a proud cultural art.

6 Comments:

Blogger chuck said...

Yup...that's why I love our tribe Buzz, minimal BS. Lookin forward to the next time we get to hang out, Big Bro.

Give a Deb a squeeze from us.

- Chuck

4:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It saddens me that so many of us (myself included) find ourselves having to write responses like this to an audience of critics that have been in an art for a fraction of the time that we have. The pain is compounded when it is your teacher(s) (I'm thinking of a couple of brothers right now) that rescind your rank/accolades/status on a whim or at the first sign of a rough patch in your relationship. I empathize with you brother. At least you have the energy and fortitude to draft such a well written response. Looking forward to our next meeting Buzz; at the Gathering, I'm sure.

Peace,
Geoffrey

1:05 PM  
Blogger IRTBrian said...

Rescind rank what a joke! Let any kuntawista come and try to rescind Buzz's rank. (that would be funny) There would be a line of people there to defend Buzz. Clearly Buzz is the front runner or founder of Kuntaw in the United States and he can call what he does anything he wants. Through his efforts many, many people have been taught a fantastic filipino martial system! Junior Kuntaw people step back and try to take care of your own organization! You should be ashamed!!!

8:45 AM  
Blogger wgungfu said...

Buzz - you're handling this great. Almost the same crap I and others I know went through. It seems to be common among "masters" out of Asia (doesn't matter what the locale or art) to pull word games and other stunts like these so they have "back doors" to discredit their students at their whim, while still making it seem believable to their students that are still in "good favor" (i.e. still sticking around....for now). Everyone's head winds up on the chopping block with these types, even those that couldn't possible see themselves on it right now.

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Escrima Sticks said...

its great to see that the Filipino martial arts spreading across the globe. keep up the good work

5:42 PM  
Anonymous mustafa said...

this is the reason i walked away from mr lanyada and his organization. when i met boggs lao in 87 he has nothing but praise for mr lanyada, when he had his own style, even. the money i paid for my black belt he gave to the IKF. he even took me to olongopo to pay respects, and no one taught me anything i just sparred with my own brothers from angeles.

then around this same time, in the 90s, he had bad words for Boggs and for my own style. this doesnt surprise me, that he knifed his own student in the back. all the famous-chasers are doing it.

his reputation has nothing to do with yours buzz. when your good, it doesnt matter if your teacher was ronald macdonalds. the student has passed the master.

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home